Posted: December 17, 2020
DISTRICT OF TOFINO
ADVANCE REGISTRATION & VOTERS LIST
Are you eligible to vote in the 2021 Tofino By-election?
Is your name on the Provincial Voters List?
The District of Tofino is using the Provincial Voters List for the 2021 Tofino by-election. If you are on the Provincial Voters List, you are not required to register again.
If you are a Tofino resident or property owner, you are eligible to register as an elector if you:
- are age 18 or older on general voting day (March 6, 2021);
- are a Canadian citizen;
- have been a resident of B.C. for at least six months before you register;
- have been a resident or have owned property in Tofino for at least 30 days before you register;
- are not disqualified by law from voting;
- and, if you are a non-resident property owner:
- you are not entitled to register as a resident elector
- if applicable, you must have written consent from the majority of owners to register as the one elector and
- only one non-resident owner may register per property.
RESIDENT ELECTOR REGISTRATION:
The District of Tofino is using the Provincial Voters List for the 2021 Tofino By-election. If you are on the Provincial Voters List, you are not required to register again. If you qualify as a resident elector but are not on the Provincial Voters List, you may register prior to voting either:
- when you vote at Advance Voting or on General Voting Day at the voting place; or
- when you vote by mail ballot, using the elector registration included in the package.
NON-RESIDENT PROPERTY ELECTOR ADVANCED REGISTRATION:
As the District maintains its own list of non-resident property electors. Advanced registration is available for these electors until January 12, 2021, by appointment at the District of Tofino Municipal Office, 121 Third Street during regular office hours, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays). You can also register when you vote. In order to register as a non-resident property elector, you must provide:
- proof of your identity (2 pieces of ID, one of which must have your signature); and
- proof of your eligibility to register (e.g. property title certificate or current District of Tofino property tax certificate, and, if applicable, a letter of consent from joint owners).
Non-resident property electors who do not register by January 12, 2021 may still register to vote at Advance Voting or on General Voting Day.
VIEWING THE VOTERS LIST
Beginning January 13, 2021, until the close of general voting on March 6, 2021, the Voters List will be available for public inspection at the Municipal Office during regular office hours. Before viewing the list you will need to state – in writing – that you will not use the information except for election purposes. The right to view the list does not include the right to a copy (except for nominees).
REQUEST TO OMIT PERSONAL INFORMATION
Voters may request that their personal information be omitted from the Voters List to protect their personal privacy or security. Contact us for details.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION on these matters, please contact:
Elyse Goatcher-Bergmann, Chief Election Officer at 250-725-3229 ext. 610
Cass Spence, Deputy Chief Election Officer 250-725-3229 ext. 611
Or visit www.tofino.ca/elections