Posted: August 16, 2019
About Council Highlights
"Council Highlights" provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings.
Click here to see full agenda packages, minutes and video recordings.
The Mayor shared words remembering the service of Councillor Dorothy Baert, and at the August 12 Committee of the Whole meeting, Tofino Poet Laureate Joanna Streetly read two poems in Councillor Baert's honour.
On behalf of Tofino Council, Mayor Osborne also presented Sandi Rideout with a Volunteer Recognition Award and recognized her passion and commitment to arts and culture in Tofino. Sandi has long been dedicated to the operations of "Monday Night Movies" and the Clayoquot Sound Community Theatre Association. The Mayor shared words from her nominator, and congratulated her on her award.
- Support for CARE Network & Tofino Community Food Initiative: Council will provide letters of support to the Coastal Animal Rescue & Education (CARE) Network for their application for grant funding to facilitate the development of a regional animal shelter and care facility, and to the Tofino Community Food Initiative for their application for grant funding to facilitate development of a comprehensive project proposal for Bert Demeria Memorial Park.
- Cannabis Retail TUPs: Council authorized staff to issue a Temporary Use Permit to West Coast Cannabis Store (Units F&G, 1182 Pacific Rim Highway) and Daylight Cannabis Company (671-1 Industrial Way) for the purposes of operating a non-medical retail cannabis store operation on the subject properties for a period of three (3) years.
- "Development Variance Permit No. 12-19" for the properties at 215 & 221 Campbell Street was approved.
- Zoning Amendment Application - 1200 Pacific Rim Highway: Council authorized staff to proceed with further review of a zoning amendment application for the property at 1200 Pacific Rim Highway. The proposal would rezone the property from Forest Rural District (A3) to a Comprehensive Development Zone (CD), to facilitate a residential development involving duplexes, townhomes, and staff accommodation. The Bylaw will be brought to Council for first and second reading, and a subsequent Public Hearing will be scheduled.
- District of Tofino Council approved the following Development Permits:
- Development Permit No. 06-19 - 998 Jensen's Bay Road
- Development Permit No. 05-19 - 926 Jensen's Bay Road
- Multi-Modal Transportation Plan (MMTP): The District of Tofino's MMTP is now complete, and available to view online at www.tofino.ca/multi-modal-transportation-plan.
- District Directory Signage: Council authorized staff to conclude the District owned Directory Signage Program, and to proceed with the removal of the signs located at the intersections of Olsen Rd. at Campbell St.; First St. at Campbell St.; Second St. at Campbell St.; and First St. at Main St.
- "District of Tofino Land Use and Development Procedures and Fee Amendment Bylaw No. 899.07, 2019" was read first, second, and third time. This Bylaw proposes to amend the delegation of authority from Council to staff regarding the issuance of certain development permits.
Other District News
- Highway 4 - Kennedy Hill Traffic Updates: See the project closure schedule for August 16-September 16, 2019 here.
- The Free Seasonal Shuttle service runs daily until September 15, 2019. Get the schedule at www.tofino.ca/tofinofreeshuttle or provide feedback on your experience at www.surveymonkey.com/r/2019TofinoTransit
- The Gust of Wind Street Entertainment weekly pilot series is a free, family friendly event held at the Village Green. Funding for the series come from Tofino's participation in the Resort Municipality Initiative program.
- August 21 at 5:30pm ft Cellobride
- August 28 at 5:00pm ft Fraser and Henderson
For more information please contact the Corporate Services Department at: