Posted: June 28, 2019
About Council Highlights
Council Highlights provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings. Full packages can be found at www.tofino.ca/council-meetings.
June 25, 2019 Council Meeting
On behalf of Council, Mayor Osborne thanked George Hubert and recognized his 35 years of dedicated service as a District employee. The Mayor spoke to the the breadth of George's experience within the Public Works Department, and the several positions held within the District over the years.
- Gary Marks, President of the Pacific Rim Foundation, presented the 2019 Dick Close Scholarship Award to Riley Douglas Banks.
- Bob Hansen, representing WildSafeBC, presented Council with an overview of the 2019 Tofino WildSafeBC Program, and spoke to tools and resources available for preventing conflict with wildlife through community collaborations and education initiatives.
- Purchasing Policy Amendment: Council approved amendments to the District's "Purchasing and Disposition of Assets Policy" that update administrative procedures and change procurement procedures in the event of an emergency.
- Zoning Amendment Application - 200 Campbell Street: Council rescinded third reading of "District of Tofino Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1169, 2012," and authorized amendments to the proposed bylaw to rezone 200 Campbell Street from Two Family Residential (R2) to Downtown Core 5 Comprehensive Development Zone (DC5) to facilitate development of a ten unit resort. The proposal also includes two units of on-site staff accommodation. The Bylaw will be brought back for amendments at second reading, and a subsequent Public Hearing will be scheduled.
- Automated Bottle Depot: Council authorized staff to publish a Notice of Disposition and prepare a Lease Agreement with Encorp Pacific for the purposes of operating an automated bottle depot on the portion of land between Warren Way and Industrial Way, adjacent to the Public Works Yard. The automated depot operation is anticipated to begin in late August or early September 2019.
- 2018 Annual Municipal Report: The District of Tofino's 2018 Annual Municipal Report was received by Council.
- Meeting Procedures Bylaw: Council adopted the "District of Tofino Meeting Procedures Amendment Bylaw No. 1229.01, 2019." Amendments include:
- The addition of 15 minute sections for delegations which are invited by Council;
- The "Public Comment on Agenda Items" section of the agenda will no longer permit individuals to make comments on their own delegation;
- Priority for delegation spots will be given to individuals or organizations who have not addressed Council within the last six months; and
- Grants the Corporate Officer the authority to screen and refuse delegation requests if deemed appropriate.
- Nomination of New Village Green Playground for Award: Council resolved to nominate the new Village Green Playground replacement project for the Wood WORKS! BC Community Recognition Award.
Other District News
- The Free Seasonal Shuttle begins today! The shuttle runs daily from June 28th to September 15th - surfboards welcome! Get the schedule at: www.tofino.ca/tofinofreeshuttle
- Tsunami Evacuation Survey: Don't miss the opportunity to win a Black Diamond emergency kit (valued at $398!) - take the survey at www.tofino.ca/emergencypreparedness.
- Highway 4 - Kennedy Hill Traffic Updates: See the project closure schedule for June 28-July 31, 2019 here.