Posted: November 12, 2019
November 12, 2019
"Council Highlights" provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings.
Click here see full agenda packages, minutes and video recordings
Mayor Osborne congratulated Councillor Dan Law on his election to the Office of Councillor in the 2019 Tofino By-Election, and welcomed him to Council.
- Council denied an Official Community Plan Amendment application for the property at 1374 Pacific Rim Highway.
- Zoning Amendment Application - Tofino Botanical Gardens: Council authorized staff to proceed with further review of a zoning amendment application for 1084 Pacific Rim Highway. The proposed amendment would clarify the permitted uses of the existing dormitory, and would permit further staff accommodation to be constructed on the property.
- Land Transfer to Tofino Housing Corporation: Council authorized the transfer of land of 700 Sharp Road (Lot 1, District Lot 132, Clayoquot District Plan 33516) to the Tofino Housing Corporation for the development of an attainable housing project on the property.
- Council adopted "District of Tofino Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1270, 2019." This bylaw will rezone the property at 700 Sharp Road from Park and Public Use District (P2) to the THC Sharp Road Residential Comprehensive Development Zone (THC2), and will facilitate the development of a 14-unit, multi-family attainable housing development.
- Tofino Housing Corporation Housing Agreement - 700 Sharp Road: Council resolved to postpone consideration of "District of Tofino Housing Agreement Bylaw No. 1275, 2019" to a future meeting.
- Becoming a Living Wage Employer: Council directed District staff to review the requirements of becoming a certified Living Wage Employer. Staff will return to Council in 2020 with information about the process of developing and implementing a living wage plan for the District of Tofino.
- Municipal Alcohol Policy: Council directed staff to bring forward options for a Municipal Alcohol Policy, including a timeline, budget, and consultation plan for Council's consideration.
Other District News
Join a Committee! The District is currently accepting applications for Council Advisory Bodies. For information about available positions and to find the online application form visit www.tofino.ca/employment-and-volunteer. Applications are due noon, December 3rd, 2019.
Special Meeting on Waste Water Treatment: On November 25th at 4:30 PM, join Council and Staff for a Special Meeting all about waste water. Details and an agenda coming soon.
West Coast Transit Service AAP: The ACRD is seeking approval of the electors by means of an Alternative Approval Process (AAP) for the adoption of Bylaw E1062 that would establish and deliver a west coast public transit service. For information on the proposed service and how to submit a response to the AAP, visit https://www.acrd.bc.ca/aap.
Reminder: The next regular Council meeting is scheduled to be held Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 4:30 PM. Click here to view the schedule.
For more information, please contact the Corporate Services Deparment at: