Posted: October 25, 2019
October 22, 2019
"Council Highlights" provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings.
Click here see full agenda packages, minutes and video recordings.
2020 Affordable Housing Plan: Council authorized staff to submit the 2020 Affordable Housing MRDT Plan, prepared by the Tofino Housing Corporation, with a revised Online Accommodation Provider (OAP) amount of $265,000. The 2020 Affordable Housing Plan includes:
- Completing the Sharp Road rental housing development (14 units)
- Securing funding / financing for at least one of the two apartment buildings that comprise Phase 1 of the DL 114 housing development.
- Breaking ground on Phase 1 DL 114.
- Working with the Tofino business community to initiate a shared staff accommodation project (40-50 units approximately).
- See the Agenda for the full "2020 Affordable Housing Plan"
Tourism Tofino 2020 Tactical Plan: Council also authorized staff to submit the 2020 Tactical Plan, prepared by Tourism Tofino. By submitting this reporting requirement, the Municipal and Regional District Tax (MRDT) will continue to be received by the District of Tofino and transferred to Tourism Tofino.
Coastal Agricultural Roundtable: Councillors McQuade and Anderson were authorized to attend the Coastal Agricultural Roundtable on November 13th in Ucluelet. Co-hosted by the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District and Clayoquot Biosphere Trust, this roundtable will provide an opportunity to work on the development of agriculture and food production within the coastal community.
On Thursday, October 31, 2019, at 9:00 AM in the Council Chamber, Municipal Office, 380 Campbell Street, a Special Council Meeting will be held for the purposes of reviewing 2019 Quarter 3 Reports and the 2020-2024 Financial Plan.
Tofino residents and businesses are encouraged to attend budget meetings to make Council aware of your priorities and to learn about the process. District staff are available to answer questions, and to distribute your feedback to Council. In general, the annual budget process is as follows:
- August: All Departments submit proposed Budgets
- August-Sept: Detailed Budget Review by CFO, CAO, and each Department
- October/November: First Budget Meeting*
- January: Second Budget Meeting*
- January/February: Public Consultation* (Open Houses, Feedback Forms, Presentations)
- March: Final Budget Meeting* – authorization to prepare Financial Plan and Annual Tax Rates Bylaw based on Budget discussions
- April: Introduce Five-Year Financial Plan and Annual Tax Rate Bylaws*
- Before May 15th: Adoption of Bylaws*; submit to Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
*All meetings are open to the public and advertised in advance.
Other District News
Municipal By-Election: On Saturday, November 2nd, cast your ballot for one (1) vacant Council seat. Voting is held in the Tofino Council Chambers from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Learn more at www.tofino.ca/elections.
West Coast Transit Service Open House & AAP: The ACRD is hosting an Open House on Wednesday, October 30th, 2019 from 4-7pm in the Tofino Council Chambers to discuss the proposed Tofino-Ucluelet Transit Service and Alternative Approval Process (AAP). Learn more at www.tofino.ca/elections.
Tsunami Risk Mitigation Planning Survey: The District needs your input on specific, actionable, tsunami risk mitigation options for Tofino. To provide feedback, please take a few minutes to complete the online survey available here.
Highway 4 - Kennedy Hill Traffic Updates: For the updated project closure schedule please click here.
Reminder: The next regular Council meeting is scheduled to be held Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM. Click here to view the schedule.
For more information, please contact the Corporate Services Deparment at: