Posted: January 26, 2018
Extreme Wave Hazard Advisory and Possible Upper-Shoreline Flooding
Issued for the Pacific Rim Region
UCLUELET-TOFINO, BC, January 26, 2018 (4:00 pm) – Parks Canada, Ucluelet and Tofino have issued an advisory for extreme waves and possible upper-shoreline flooding for the Pacific Rim region.
The public is being warned to use extreme caution on beaches, shorelines, docks and marinas, and coastal waters from Monday, January 29th to Wednesday, January 31st, 2018. These areas should be avoided during major storms. If you are near the water, it is important to be ‘CoastSmart’ by staying above the high tide and off large exposed rocks.
During this time period, large ocean swells reaching up to 4 metres are predicted during the two-day period. Very high tides of up to 4.1 metres and moderate storm surge occurring mid-day are predicted to compound the wave hazard. These conditions could result in flooded beaches, floating logs, large waves breaking high up on shore and extremely hazardous surf conditions. The most dangerous period of the day is likely to be at high tide from mid-morning to mid- afternoon.
Depending of the severity of the flooding seas, select beach parking lots and beach areas in Ucluelet, Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park Reserve may be temporarily closed to protect public safety. Please respect all temporary closures and follow directions on any associated postings.
People interested in viewing the storm are advised to use the following safer locations:
- Amphitrite Point (a safe viewing area has been established)
- Kwisitis Visitor Centre’s Observation Deck at Wickaninnish Beach in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve
- Florencia Bay Lookout in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve
- Avoid trails and beaches during storm events
- Stay away from exposed shorelines and stay off rocks
- Unexpected waves can suddenly flood shorelines
- Large waves can surge above the tide line
- High tides and waves can roll logs
For more information, please visit:
- Environment Canada Marine Forecast - https://weather.gc.ca/marine/
- CoastSmart - http://coastsmart.ca/
District of Ucluelet District of Tofino Pacific Rim National Park Reserve
250 726-7744 250 725-3229 250 726-3500