Posted: February 4, 2019
JOB POSTING – BYLAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
Temporary Full Time Position
TITLE: Bylaw Enforcement Officer (Temporary)
DEPARTMENT: Protective Services
COMPETITION CLOSES: Friday, February 15, 2019 at 4:00pm
Position: The District of Tofino is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of temporary Bylaw Enforcement Officer. Under the general direction of the Manager of Protective Services, this position emphasizes public education and relations offering a unique opportunity to work both as an enforcement officer and community liaison. Work involves providing information and assistance to the public, carrying out regular patrols, gathering evidence and preparing all documentation necessary for effective enforcement of District bylaws.
For more information about specific duties and qualifications see the job description summary below.
Hours of Work and Salary: This temporary position begins February 18, 2019 and concludes on April 30, 2019 and involves 8 hour shifts, 40 hours per week between 6:00 am to 1:00 am, Monday to Sunday. Based on operational needs, Bylaw Enforcement Officers must be available to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings and weekends. The wage is $25.66 per hour plus 14.8% in lieu of vacation time and benefits (after successful completion of a 60 day probation period the base wage increases to $28.51 per hour). This position is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Agreement between the District of Tofino and the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 118.
Application: Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume indicating the position applied for, in confidence, no later than 4pm, Friday, February 15, 2019 to Brent Baker, Manager of Protective Services by:
Mail: District of Tofino, PO Box 9, Tofino BC, V0R 2Z0
Hand: 121 Third Street, Tofino BC
The District thanks all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Examples of key work activities are:
• Carries out regular patrols of District beaches, parks and trails and educates the public by increasing awareness of District of Tofino regulatory bylaws
• Gains compliance with District bylaws through education, issuance of warnings and bylaw violation notices and tickets, as appropriate; arranges for removal of vehicles
• Responds to and investigates general complaints, prepares necessary documentation for effective enforcement and communicates resolution to complainants
• Liaises with other local enforcement agencies as required
• Carries out routine administrative and other office duties as required
• Provides the Manager of Corporate Services with weekly activity reports
Education & Experience
• Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by course work in areas such as Criminology, Justice Studies, Law Enforcement, Investigations or Security
• Direct or related experience in bylaw enforcement, inspections, conflict resolution or other related areas
• Equivalent combination of education and related experience
• Ability to work with minimal direction and self-initiate work with good judgment
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Interpersonal and conflict resolution skills to deal tactfully and firmly with the public especially in volatile situations
• Physically fit and able to perform physical tasks associated with patrols, including working outside in all weather conditions with varied hours
• Proficient in the use of computers and Microsoft suite of applications
• Valid BC Driver’s Licence with a safe driving history
• Able to pass and maintain criminal records check