Posted: April 3, 2019
JOB POSTING - SUMMER RECREATION PROGRAMMER
Temporary Full Time Position
TITLE: Summer Recreation Programmer
DEPARTMENT: Community Sustainability
COMPETITION CLOSES: Friday, April 19, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
Position: The District of Tofino is seeking an energetic, creative, adventurous individual to fill a temporary full-time position as the Summer Recreation Programmer in the Community Sustainability Department. This temporary position would be ideal for a post-secondary student. The position will begin on Monday, May 13th, 2019.
Reporting to the Manager of Community Sustainability, the Summer Recreation Programmer performs duties related to the provision of recreational services to the residents of Tofino. The Summer Recreation Programmer coordinates, promotes and implements recreational programs, summer camps and special events for diverse program offerings in sport, outdoor, social, arts and cultural areas. The Summer Recreation Programmer will facilitate and lead, liaise with other Recreation Staff as well as participants, contractors, and parents. The Summer Recreation Programmer works with the Manager of Community Sustainability, Recreation Programmer 1 and Recreation Programmer 2 to develop weekly camp plans and host special events.
The ideal candidates will have the ability to be inclusive and flexible to ensure a positive environment is created for all participants; demonstrated customer service and interpersonal skills; ability to maintain a high degree of enthusiasm and personal motivation. Applicant will be required to complete a criminal record check.
Preference may be given to applicants who also possess the following:
• Post-secondary education in any of the following disciplines: Recreation, Tourism, Sport Management, Education
• Experience working with school aged children in a recreational or instructional setting
• Class 4 BC Driver’s License
• Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Award; current National Lifeguard Service or equivalent.
• Emergency First-Aid and CPR (C)
The successful candidates will be required to work Monday to Friday with some evening and weekend shifts (hours/shifts are subject to change).
To be eligible, you must:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act ; and,
• be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Hours of Work & Salary: May 13, 2019-August 23, 2019 (15 weeks)
Hours of work: Flexible 35 hour work week
Rate of pay: $15.32/hour plus 14.8% in lieu of benefits/vacation
Application: Qualified applicants should prepare a poster to advertise for a children’s day camp of their choice. The poster should contain relevant camp details and the District of Tofino’s contact information. Applicants must submit this poster along with their resume and cover letter indicating the position applied for, in confidence, no later than 4:30 p.m. Friday, April 19, 2019, to Aaron Rodgers, Manager of Community Sustainability by:
Mail: District of Tofino, PO Box 9, Tofino BC, V0R 2Z0
Hand: 121 Third Street, Tofino BC
The District thanks all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.