The District of Tofino has developed a Temporary Use Permit process for cannabis retail operations in Tofino. Thank-you to everyone who gave their feedback on this process!
THE INTAKE PERIOD WILL OPEN FEBRUARY 25TH UNTIL MARCH 27TH.
TUP Application Intake Period
Applications for Temporary Use Permits for Cannabis Retail Stores will open February 25th, 2019, for a period of 30 days (until midnight, March 27th, 2019).
Other Application Resources:
- Vision to Action: Sustainable Community Action Plan
- District of Tofino Land Use and Development Procedures and Fee Bylaw No. 899, 2002
- District of Tofino Zoning Bylaw No. 770, 1997 and Zoning Map
- District of Tofino Sign Control Bylaw No. 1193, 2014
- District of Tofino Official Community Plan Bylaw No. 1200, 2013
Cannabis Retail/Production/Distribution Prohibited in Zoning Bylaw
The Zoning Bylaw prohibits the use of any land, building, or structure for the sale, production, or distribution of cannabis.
In order to start a cannabis retail store, businesses are required to obtain a Temporary Use Permit using the process outlined in the Cannabis Retail TUP Policy (above). Council may issue up to 3 permits for cannabis retail operations.
Smoking Regulation Bylaw
Smoking Regulation Bylaw No. 1249, 2018 prohibits smoking or vaping (tobacco, cannabis, etc.) within 6 m of outdoor public places such as parks, beaches, workplaces, etc.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW WE GOT HERE
The District held two public information sessions, distributed two detailed feedback forms, and held a stakeholder roundtable with representatives from community organizations. After listening to what interested community members have said, we compiled the following "What We've Heard" presentation.
This information was used to develop the process and criteria for applicants who wish to open a cannabis retail business in Tofino.
Staff Reports (Agenda Packages below, navigate to the report by searching "Cannabis")
- District Staff Report 1 - January 9, 2018 (item 8.2)
- District Staff Report 2 - February 27, 2018 (item 8.4)
- District Staff Report 3 - April 30, 2018 CoW (item 7.2)
- District Staff Report 4 - May 22, 2018 (item 8.2)
- District Staff Reports 5 and 6 - June 11, 2018 (CoW) (Items 7.1 and 7.2)
- District Staff Report 7 - August 14, 2018 (item 8.8)
- District Staff Report 8 - November 23, 2018 (CoW) (Item 7.3)
- District Staff Report 9 - February 12, 2019 (Item 8.3)
- Public Hearing Information Bulletin - February 9, 2018
- What we Heard - Public Feedback Summary
- Public Hearing Summary - June 12, 2018
Federal and Provincial Information
- B.C. Cannabis Retail Store Licence Terms and Conditions Handbook (New)
- B.C. Cannabis Private Retail Licencing Guide
- Federal Legislation - Bill C45
Manager of Community Sustinability