It's Time to Talk about Cannabis in Tofino
After a century of prohibition, the pending legalization of recreational cannabis will be a significant societal change that requires forethought, attention and care to ensure a smooth implementation. Currently, it is only legal to purchase and consume cannabis with a medical prescription and by mail order from a licensed producer. Legalization will mean that all adults in BC over the age of 19 will be able to purchase certain cannabis products for their own use. The exact date of legalization has not yet been determined by the federal government.
Many of the decisions surrounding cannabis legalization will be made by the provincial and federal governments. The District of Tofino is committed to making sure that this change happens in a way that respects the unique needs and values of our community.
Although provincial regulations have not been finalized, we anticipate that local governments like the District of Tofino will be responsible for the regulation of some aspects of cannabis legalization including:
- Retail sales: zoning and business licensing to determine where cannabis stores may be located.
- Public consumption: identifying where consuming cannabis will be allowed in Tofino.
- Personal cultivation: the province may allow municipalities to set rules on public visibility and security requirements for growing cannabis plants at home to ensure public safety and limited nuisances (such as odours and visibility).
The District has held two public information sessions, distributed two detailed feedback forms, and held a stakeholder roundtable with representatives from community organizations.
We would like to thank everyone who has continued to inform this process and we look forward to further engagement with the community as we develop a process for appliations to open cannabis retail operations.
WHAT WE'VE HEARD
The District of Tofino has held two Open Houses and collected over 100 feedback forms. We've listened to what interested community members have said, and compiled the following "What We've Heard" presentation.
At the April 3rd Open House we provided the following "What We've Heard" Presentation. This information will be used to develop a process and criteria for applicants who wish to open a cannabis retail business in Tofino once non-medical cannabis has been legalized by the federal government.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- District Staff Report 1 - January 9, 2018
- District Staff Report 2 - February 27, 2018
- District Staff Report 3 - April 30, 2018
- District Staff Report 4 - May 22, 2018
- Public Hearing Information Bulletin - February 9, 2018
- What we Heard - Public Hearing and Feedback Form Summary
Federal and Provincial Information
Manager of Community Sustinability