Corporate Services provides a wide variety of support services for District departments. The Department coordinates legislative services and provides information and communication systems in addition to ongoing operational support. The Corporate Services Department encompasses the following positions:
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) of the District of Tofino is appointed by, and reports to, Council. The CAO oversees the overall administration of the corporate body of the District, its officers and employees. In addition, the CAO is charged with keeping Council up to date on corporate matters and ensuring that Council policy is implemented and bylaws are enforced.
The CAO also leads the senior management team and sets the overall strategic direction to ensure achievement of Council's Goals.
The major responsibilities are:
- Administering the business affairs of the municipality;
- Providing direction to District employees;
- Directing the development and implementation of corporate policies and programs;
- Ensuring Council receives the appropriate reports and information necessary for decision making;
- Assisting Council in the development of a corporate strategic plan;
- Directing the exercise of general financial control of all departments and ensuring Council is presented with the annual estimates of revenue and expenditures; and
- Liaising with local boards, commissions, agencies, other municipalities, and the provincial and federal governments.
Reporting to the CAO, the Manager of Corporate Services is responsible for the Department of Corporate Services.
- The running of Council and Committee meetings, public hearings, town hall meetings, and other meetings as required;
- The management of municipal bylaws and policies;
- Information, file, and records management in accordance with the legislative requirements;
- Municipal office resource management;
- Corporate communications;
- Chief Election Officer duties; and
- Handling requests under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.