Garbage Collection Services
Weekly garbage collection pick-up is provided every Thursday by the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District.
♦ Missed service? Call our collection contractor, SonBird at 250-726-4406.
How to use the service
- Get the right sized can - Garbage cans must be between 45 - 121 litres in size, weigh no more than 20kg when full and be fitted with a lid.
- Limit of 1 garbage can. (Got more garbage? Purchase a 'Additional Can' sticker from the District Office for $3.00, plus gst each.)
- Place your Garbage or recycling out for collection correctly from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- All containers must be placed on the driveway of the property, near the curb.
- Garbage must be in bags, within a wildlife-proof in. (No loose garbage. No bags on the curb.)
- Make sure it really is garbage! Don't place items that are banned from landfill in your garbage can or it won't be collected.
- Recycling must be placed in the correct bag and/or box.
- Wildlife getting into your cans? Please purchase Bear resistant bins.
- Cans must be stored securely in an enclosed space (garage, etc.) so bears & other wildlife cannot access them.
Materials that are banned from the garbage
These items are banned from landfill and will not be collected as garbage:
- Biomedical waste
- Paint, solvents & other hazardous materials
- Beverage containers (as listed under recycling)
- Rocks, dirt, concrete, asphalt & sod
- Car parts, lead acid batteries, tires
- Any item accepted in curbside recycling (Blue Box)
- Fluorescent lights
- Medications & pharmaceuticals
- Oil containers & filters
- Building & demolition materials
- Animal waste & carcasses
- Propane tanks
- Agricultural waste
- Electronics & metal appliances