Garbage & Recycling
The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD) provides waste collection which services the Tofino community. The ACRD prescribes collection fees, times of service and allowable materials. More information is found in the ACRD Bylaws below.
The District of Tofino does not collect payment or run this service; however all Tofino residents must comply with the regulations stated in Tofino Garbage & Recyclable Materials Bylaw No. 1070 below.
If payment is not made to the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District before December 31st of each year, the unpaid garbage and recycling collection fee will be transferred to the property taxes of the associated property. Interest will be accrued on any unpaid taxes after December 31st of each year.
317 Forbes Rd Ucluelet BC
Garbage and Recycling Schedule:
Weekly garbage collection pick-up is provided every Thursday by the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District, under a contract to Ozzard Environmental, 250-266-6166,317 Forbes Rd Ucluelet BC.
The West Coast Landfill is owned by the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District, and operated by a contractor. Learn more about hours of operation, tipping fees, etc. www.acrd.bc.ca/west-coast-landfill.
Recycling collection pick-up is provided on alternate Wednesdays for individual residential households by the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District under a contract to Ozzard Environmental, 250-266-6166,317 Forbes Rd Ucluelet BC.
Please visit ACRD Recycling for details.
These items are banned from landfill and will not be collected as garbage:
- Biomedical waste
- Paint, solvents & other hazardous materials
- Beverage containers (as listed under recycling)
- Rocks, dirt, concrete, asphalt & sod
- Car parts, lead acid batteries, tires
- Any item accepted in curbside recycling (Blue Box)
- Fluorescent lights
- Medications & pharmaceuticals
- Oil containers & filters
- Building & demolition materials
- Animal waste & carcasses
- Propane tanks
- Agricultural waste
- Electronics & metal appliances
GARBAGE COLLECTION RULES
- Get the Right Sized Can - Garbage cans must be between 45 - 121 litres in size, weigh no more than 20kg when full and be fitted with a lid.
- Limit of 1 Garbage Can. - Got more garbage? Purchase a 'Additional Can' sticker from the District Office for $3.00, plus gst.
- Get it Out in the Morning - Place your Garbage or recycling out for collection correctly from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- At the Curb, Please - All containers must be placed on the driveway of the property, near the curb.
- Be Bear Aware - Garbage must be in bags, within a wildlife-proof bin. (No loose garbage. No bags on the curb.)
- Make Sure it's not Banned - Don't place items that are banned from landfill in your garbage can or it won't be collected.
For more information about curbside pick up, contact Ozzard Environmental, 250-266-6166, 317 Forbes Rd Ucluelet BC.
- Is it Really Recyclable? Don't place items that are non-recyclable or banned from landfill in your recycling or it won't be collected. Click here to view a list of recyclable items.
- Save Space: Flatten whatever you can before putting containers into your recyclables cart. Just take off the cap, step on it, and put the cap back on.
- Be Bear Aware: Put out your recyclables at the curb between 5:30am and 7:30am on the day of pick up in the recycle bin that has been provided by the ACRD, or in your own wildlife-proof recycling bin.
GARBAGE AND RECYCLING RESOURCES
- Westcoast Recycling
- Garbage & Recyclable Materials Collection and Regulation Bylaw
- ACRD Westcoast Landfill
- Recycling Information Sheet
- MMBC Materials List
Contact Ozzard Environmental, 250-266-6166, 317 Forbes Rd Ucluelet BC for information about curbside pick up.