Home Owner Grant
Home Owner Grant Program Information
The Home Owner Grant is governed and managed by the Ministry of Finance (B.C. Government) to help reduce the amount of residential property tax British Columbians pay. The grant amount is first applied to the school taxes levied on the principal residence and then to municipal taxes. The grant is available to Canadian citizens or landed immigrants who live in British Columbia, and he or she must occupy the home as his/her principal residence.
Types of Grants
- Basic Grant
Basic Home Owner Grant Information
- Additional Grant (65 or older, physically disabled, and/or veteran)
Additional Home Owner Grant Information
- Retroactive Grant (if eligible, a grant may be approved for the previous year only
Retroactive Home Owner Grant Information
- Multiple Grant (for apartment, housing co-operatives, and housing society buildings
Multiple Home Owner Grant Information
You must apply for the grant each year after you receive your property tax notice and before December 31. The grant is applied toward the current year's property tax.
How to Apply
To qualify for the grant, see the eligibility criteria on the Home Owner Grant website.
To claim the grant:
- Complete the application form on the front of your property tax notice (located on the remittance portion) and submit it to the Municipal Office; or
- Complete a printable Home Owner Grant Application Form and submit to the Municipal Office
You must qualify for the grant at the time you sign and submit the application form. If you are claiming the additional grant, ensure you provide all information and/or applicable supporting documents required with your application.
The completed Home Owner Grant application is due by July 2. When a due date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, payments will be accepted the following business day without penalty.
Home Owner Grant Forms