Parks and Natural Spaces
Photo credit: Mark McKeough
Situated at the tip of the Esowista Peninsula on the traditional lands of the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation, Tofino is is bordered on the North, East and West by water, and Pacific Rim National Park Reserve to the South. Within the District of Tofino there are numerous parks, trails, beaches and natural spaces for both residents and visitors to explore and enjoy.
For more information, please refer to the links below:
Tofino is Bear Country: Be Bear Smart
Report all wildlife encounters to the BC Conservation Officer Service RAPP line at 1-877-952-7277. To find more inforamtion about being bear safe visit the Wildsafe BC webpage.
Some simple guidelines to follow are:
1. Don't attract bears to your property with birdfeeders, fruit, gardens, compost heaps, dirty bbq's or pet food.
2. Put your garbage and recylcling in bear proof dumpsters and place curbside only on the morning of pick-up. Don't stock pile it.
3. Keep accessible doors and window closed and locked.
4. Use deterrents to discourage bears from entering your property.
5. If you encounter a bear in an urban area - make lots of noise to encourage it to leave.
6. Keep an eye on your neighbours - make sure they are following bear smart practices