Posted: June 14, 2019
About Council Highlights
Council Highlights provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings. Full packages can be found at www.tofino.ca/council-meetings.
June 11, 2019 Council Meeting
- Delegation from Adam Coates, Chief Commercial Officer, Prairie Records: The delegate presented details of a cannabis retail temporary use permit application for 150 Fourth Street.
- Council resolved to support the resolution from Victoria City Council to the Union of British Columbia Municipalities to restore Provincial support for libraries.
- The 2018 Statement of Financial Information for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2018 was approved by Council.
- Strategic Procurement - Wastewater Treatment Plant: Council authorized staff to incorporate principles from the recommendations in the Strategic Procurement report, including employment and social benefit targets, in the procurement documents for the wastewater treatment plant and conveyance system.
- Tofino Harvest Company TUP: Council authorized staff to issue a temporary use permit for a cannabis production operation at 700 Industrial Way (Tofino Harvest Company) subject to the receipt of a satisfactory waste management plan.
- Cannabis Retail TUPs: Staff were authorized to notify the public that Council proposes to issue a Temporary Use Permit to Daylight Cannabis Company (671-1 Industrial Way) and West Coast Cannabis Store (Units F&G, 1182 Pacific Rim Highway) for the purposes of operating a temporary retail cannabis operation. Council denied the temporary use permit applications for Prairie Records (150 Fourth Street) and Tuff Leaf (561 Campbell Street).
- District of Tofino Building Bylaw No. 1256, 2019 was adopted. This Bylaw reflects changes that were made to the British Columbia Building Act, and will enable the District to enforce provincial building requirements, including the BC Building Code.
Other District News
- The 2018 Annual Municipal Report is now available online at the District's website, and in hard copy at the Municipal Office, 121 Third Street.
- Tsunami Evacuation Survey: Test your knowledge about tsunami evacuation and enter to win a Black Diamond emergency kit! Take the Survey at www.tofino.ca/emergencypreparedness.
- Shoulder Widening for Bus Pullouts: Construction will take place between Abraham Dr. and Hellesen Dr. from June 17th to June 21st. Click here for details.
- The Tofino Housing Corporation will be hosting an Open House on June 23rd from 4-7pm at the Outside Break picnic tables (1184 Pacific Rim Hwy) to review the Sharp Road affordable housing development proposal. Contact email@example.com for more info.
- Are you in the community's arts, culture, heritage and events sectors? The District is compiling a public, on-line database, and you are invited to submit information to the Creative Sector Directory and Event Listing.
- The June 17th Committee of the Whole meeting has been cancelled. The next CoW meeting is scheduled to be held Monday, August 12th at 6:00 p.m.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-725-3229.
The next regular Council meeting is scheduled to be held Tuesday, June 25th, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.