Building & Development Services

Development Services are provided by the Department of Community Sustainability:

Manager of Community Sustainability Aaron Rodgers
Senior Planner Peter Thicke 
Planner 1      Jill Patterson
Building Inspector Nicholas Henderson

On This Page:

Current Applications

Application Type    Address/Description  Associated Docs  Public Hearing Date Status
ZA - Bylaw 1169 200 Campbell Street Public Hearing Complete;
Inquire with staff
2019-09-10 3rd Reading
ZA - Bylaw 1243

605, 613, 621 Industrial Way

Public Hearing Complete;
Inquire with staff

2019-09-10 3rd Reading
ZA - Bylaw 1250 680 Industrial Way

Public Hearing Complete;
Inquire with staff

2019-03-26 3rd Reading
ZA - Bylaw 1255 420 Main Street TBD TBD No Readings - Permission to Proceed Only
ZA - Bylaw 1273 1101 Pacific Rim Hwy   TBD TBD 1st Reading
ZA - Bylaw 1286 Secondary Suites TBD TBD 1st Reading
ZA - Bylaw 1287 Shipping Containers TBD TBD 1st Reading
ZA - Bylaw 1293 634 Campbell Street TBD TBD 1st Reading
ZA - Bylaw 1295 1084 Pacific Rim Hwy TBD TBD 1st Reading
ZA - Bylaw 1296 368-380 Main Street TBD TBD 1st Reading
ZA - Bylaw 1288 Childcare

Notice of Waived Public Hearing

Bylaw No. 1288, 2020

N/A 2nd Reading

Permit & Application Protocol During Covid-19

The District is committed to continuing to provide building inspection services during the Covid-19 public health emergency, so long as we are able to ensure the safety of our workers and the public. As the District Office is closed to the public, completed building permit applications, plans, and documents can be submitted in person by appointment only. Be sure to include a cheque for the processing fee along with your application. Alternatively, applications and payments can be couriered to 121 Third St. Tofino, BC, V0R2Z0.

To Make An Appointment: Please email or contact administration services at 250-725-3229.

To limit contact, please follow the drop-off instructions provided to you when booking your appointment. 
Please note, only complete submissions will be processed. Read the Building Permit Checklist to ensure you have a complete submission. If information is missing, staff will contact you by phone or email.  

Once your application has been processed you will receive instructions by email regarding building permit fee payment and receiving your permit documents. For more information please contact the Building Inspector at or by calling 250-726-6349.

Building Services

Do I need a building permit (BP)?

Building permits are required for new construction of buildings and structures, and for additions and alterations to existing buildings or structures. If you are not sure if you require a Building Permit, it is always best to ask the Building Inspector before you start any construction.

If you're ready to get started on your new development or home renovation, applying for the proper permits is your first step. See the sections below for building & development applications and resources.

*NEW: Download the Building Permit Guide to see a description of necessary forms and processes.

*NEW: Learn about the BC Energy Step Code, effective in Tofino as of January 31, 2020.

Are you clearing a lot?
Taking down trees?

Consider donating your large
wood to Central Westcoast
Forest Society
for their in-stream
salmonid habitat restoration.


CLICK TO VIEW | Building Permit Application Package
  1. Recent Title Search (< 30 days of application)
  2. Building Permit Checklist
  3. Building Permit Application
  4. Owner’s Declaration + Authorization of Agent
  5. Application Fee Payment $120 (+ may include $25 Title Search Fee)

Click to view past Building Permit Reports

Building Inspection

The District of Tofino and the District of Ucluelet share a Building Inspector. Tofino building inspection services are available by email request: 

  • Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Friday

We require at least 24 hours notice to book an appointment with the Building Inspector.
To schedule an inspection, please contact :

Nicholas Henderson
(T) 250-725-3229 (702)
(C) 250-726-6349

Development Services

Do I need a development permit (DP)?

Development Permit Areas (DPA) are lands protected by the Municipality through the Official Community Plan (OCP) for ecological sensitivity, land use or geographic significance, or for development-specific reasons. To find out if your property falls within a DPA, please see schedules B1-9 of the OCP Bylaw No. 1290, 2021 or contact the planning department.

Applying for a Development Permit (DP)

If your property falls within a designated Development Permit Area (DPA), you will require approval prior to altering, developing, or subdividing lands. If the proposed works impose on the boundaries of the DPA, you will be required to submit an application and pay associated fees outlined in the Fees & Charges Amendment Bylaw No.1271.04, 2021

Each DPA includes specific guidelines that support the community's vision for future development and OCP objectives, while encouraging and allowing flexibility for creative design. These guidelines also serve as a framework for District staff and Council to review and evaluate proposals. Find DPA guidelines within the Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1299, 2021

Development Variance Permit (DVP)

Per the Local Government Act, Municipal council has the authority to approve a Development Variance Permit (DVP) to vary the provisions of a bylaw.  For example, this type of permit can vary the provisions of a zoning bylaw, subdivision servicing, park land, parcel frontage on a highway, and other bylaws. 

Alternatively, if you feel that compliance with a bylaw would cause hardship, you may apply to Tofino's Board of Variance for a DVP. The Board of Variance  focuses primarily on minor matters related to siting, dimensions and size of buildings. For example, if topography is prohibitive to conformity of normal setbacks. The variance must be minor and the Board has several limitations to what types of variances apply.


CLICK TO VIEW | Types of Development Permit Applications

Maps and Zoning

Contact Us

Manager of Community Sustainability
(T) 250-725-3229 ext. 701
(F) 250-725-3775